Peppermint Preschool Gym Program
(walking toddlers up to 5 yr. kindergarten)
“We feel each child should be given the opportunity to explore a variety of movement concepts in a safe and positive learning environment.”
This program is carefully designed for what children need most during these important preschool years. We have created structured, progressive and unique lesson plans for your child to grow through. Our program includes lessons on all gymnastics apparatus modified to the special needs of the preschooler. Through our small class size and teaching methods sitting still for long periods of time and waiting in lines is kept to a minimum.
- To develop the child’s self-concept and self esteem.
- To help learn how to behave in a controlled environment. (taking turns, listening, following directions...)
- To instill physical activity as a daily need or life style.
- To equip the child with basic fundamental movement skills appropriate to his/her developmental stages.
The program content includes activities in all aspects of physical education: ball handling, loco motor skill development, rhythms, educational gymnastics and manipulative skills. The only exclusion is aquatics! Games and activities are presented in a cooperative manner rather than competitive.
Our teaching methods are child-directed for the Parent & tot program and 3 year old classes. Classes for 4 and 5 year olds are more teacher-directed; however, there is still a liberal sprinkling of child-directed activities throughout each lesson. Each game or activity is set up to guarantee some degree of success for each child in the class.
We have children divided into different classes by age group because of physiological developments at each age. (Three year olds approach the world in a far different way than five year olds do!) However, we present the SAME lesson plan to the 3 year olds as we do to the 4 and 5 year olds. But with the older children we expect more accuracy of movement and more practice time is accomplished due to their developed listening skills. Please approach us about special circumstances.
- Parent & Tot 1 (walking to about 2 years) Parent or caregiver is required to participate
- Parent & Tot 2 (about 2 years to 3 years) and assist throughout the entire class. (Class times are offered for both Tot 1 & Tot 2 age groups at the same time)
- “Tinymint” (3 year olds) Independent of parent
- “Mightymint” (3 ˝-4 year olds)
- “Dynamint” (4 and 5 year olds) This age group will begin working on skill charts.
- “Peppermint” (4 and 5 year olds) Previous gymnastics experience and evaluation required.